After last year’s clear and sunny EC Spring Golf Outing, we had high hopes for this year’s event on Monday, May, 13, 2019. Sadly, what we experienced may have been the worst weather ever for an EC Golf Outing with temperatures in the 40’s and constant (at times heavy) rain. But it didn’t matter. The Eastern Christian School community proved that at least one lesson was well taught at EC: PERSEVERANCE.
More than 120 golfers registered to play at Wild Turkey in Hamburg, NJ and most came well prepared to play in the rain. We saw all manner of umbrellas, bag covers, rain suits, and even golf cart covers to battle the forecasted rains. A couple of very optimistic golfers showed up wearing shorts although it wasn’t long before they realized they may have made an error. Despite the wet and bitter weather, attitudes were positive and the players who passed my station on the 7th tee were generally light hearted and having fun. And everyone was delighted to settle in for a hot buffet in a warm and dry dining area at the end of the day.
While some of our golfers packed it in before finishing 18 holes, we had many hardy players who stuck it out and finished well. The top foursomes of those who finished were:
- Brian Van Grouw, Justin Van Grouw, Matt Van Grouw and Matt Battle at 12 under par.
- Jeff DeKorne, Greg Hagedoorn, Art Vooys and Sean Lawlor at 10 under par.
- Ralph Faasse, Jr, Ross Selby, Gary Granco and Martin Mariani at 8 under par.
Other notable performances were:
- Pete Ten Kate with the longest drive on #3.
- Craig Faber with the straightest drive on #11.
- Ross Selby with closest to the pin (4’-1”) on #2.
- Scott Hopeck with closest to the pin (9’-5”) on #16.
The success of any event is dependent on many variables but very important contributors to our success are the sponsors. We are so very thankful for the faithful support of our sponsors:
- Platinum Sponsor: Atlantic Stewardship Bank
- Gold Sponsor: Bushoven & Company
- Silver Sponsors: Abbey Carpet and Floor of Hawthorne, Heerema Company, Kuiken Brothers, Inc., Leegwater Electric, Martin Orthodontics, Regency Wealth Management, Reiner Group, Search Consultants of Northern Jersey, and Wayne Tile Company.
- Other Sponsors: There were more than 40 other event sponsors as well.
Golf outings are a lot of work and Eastern Christian School’s outing would not have happened without the hours of preparation donated by our golf committee. Thanks to
- Kurt Faber, Chairman
- Henry Hagedoorn, Dwayne Leegwater, Scott Martin and Bill Van Hoff.
Also, special thank to our registration volunteers Sue Leegwater and Laura Steensta who bring their experience to the event year after year to ease us through the registration process.
With the incredible support of our players and sponsors, this year’s outing raised about $40,000.00 for Eastern Christian School. These dollars are applied directly to the school budget, impacting the tuition of each and every student from pre-k through 12. Thank you to our sponsors and players. To God be the glory.